Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Pachyderms


So, as I said the other day, I like elephants. I also said, at a different time, I am entering a teapot competition. Finally, if it isn't obvious, I like jokes. For example, putting all of the above together, maybe an elephant should be pouring himself a cup of tea, except he uses his trunk to pour? Elephants sitting atop a teapot, pouring tea is funny. Elephants on top of a column pouring tea are funny (pictured), but I thought today I might make just a figurine of an elephant, with his tea service. Although I spent years in school and as an apprentice learning to throw pots, I never had any instruction in sculpture. I love it. I just bumble along, figuring out animals and shapes. A real change of pace from making a bowl. It also is a different physical use of my hands, and I try to vary what I do, so I don't hurt my back or wrists or whatever. I have learned that, as Charles Schultz did with Snoopy, you can do a lot with a little line or gesture. And, as someone once said of my work, they are always smiling. Luckily, as I am a macho kind of guy, they are CUTE but not CUTESY. Big difference.
So, the guy on the left needs to be dried and glazed blue with maybe a green teaset in trunk and hand.

No comments: