Monday, August 28, 2006

Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions

This is the before. Yes, although my mother wouldn't like the name, she would love the Cowboy Junkies.
http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/cowboy_junkies/videos.jhtml Try Sweet Jane.
Finding this was like finding the Holy Grail of music videos. Let me give you the history, as I know it, of me and the Cowboy Junkies. Some or all of it is probably factual, my Canadian friends can correct me.
Two Timmins brothers formed a band with a friend, and asked their sister, a social worker, not a singer, to be their singer. And wow, what a voice! Margot Timmins has an ethereal, deep, haunting, quiet singing voice. I think she is married now with a mess of children, living in the suburbs, but the band still performs. Anyway, as I wrote in comments elsewhere, I had lunch at Toronto's Eaton Center (Centre?) in 1988, a huge glass and steel mall, overlooking and surrounding a tiny little old stone church. I think that is Holy Trinity. Also in 1988, the Cowboy Junkies recorded a concert in Holy Trinity, with one little microphone, maybe the most famous little concert recorded ever? I heard the band interviewed once, I think, talking about the reason they did the concert. Something about awareness of the fact that this sweet little old church wouldn't have a future thanks to the mall. My friends can correct the facts. Anyway, this video is worth getting up at 4:51 when the cat vomits.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It wasn't me, I'm a dog.

Anonymous said...

No time to look it up at home, but plenty at work: Cowboy Junkies.