Monday, August 21, 2006

Big Bowls and Buster Boo

Aug 21, 2006
Stars http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1500854/04272005/stars.jhtml
Tunes of the day courtesy of Stars. They have been on the radio quite a bit this spring and summer. Both the videos on the link are good, but ‘my ex-boyfriend is dead’ is something else. MTV is only giving us a little of that tune. It is sweet and melancholy and they got it right.

Dreaming today-well, I had just won an award and was excited and wanted to convince everybody it was big deal but nobody was paying any attention and then I found myself in high school sitting next to Shelly Rafter, a tough chick who wanted to beat me up then Sammy cat was rattling around and so up I got. Before anybody got hurt.

Makin’ today--well, see the pics. Gotta glaze those mugs. Pots are fired twice, usually. In my case, cone 06 first time in the bisque, about 1800 degrees f. This hardens up the pieces and they easily absorb glaze. Gotta wax the bottoms, paint on the doggy spots and tongues and bunny ears, then dunk them in the glaze then off to cone 6, about 2200 degrees f, takes about 12 hours to fire, 18 hours more to cool off. Also pictured, yesterday’s bowls and such, with Buster. I am entering a teapot competition in Baltimore in September, and I am allowed five entries. I have been messing around with the fifth possibilty, and will use the teapot body on the top shelf there to make a wild little yellow teapot. I think I will even lobe it, six ways, and a squared spout, no animals, and curve the handle too. The other 4 entries are looking GOOD. These challenges get the mind working, and stuff comes to mind and you try it out. You know, dip the spoon in the soup, stir it and see what comes up. Will post pics of all the little stars before I enter.

OK, this ones for celeste in particular, a link to a fantabulous blog
http://www.robotjohnny.com/ I always say if I couldn't be a potter I would have been a rock and roll drummer of cartoonist. Well, I would have to be able to draw and play drums, but the pottery thing worked out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the pottery thing worked out.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link, although he's too cool for me. :-)

Anonymous said...

NO NO Celeste! He is such a nifty guy. Of course, one must remember TO is a big city, and you people don't all hang out together and bump into each other at the grocery store...

Anonymous said...

True enough. Plus I definitely don't live in a trendy area.

Stupid MTV's only giving me commercials.

Anonymous said...

I know, it does that Lymon thing. Give it a second, it should come up, I think you will like Stars.