Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Safety and Danger




(View here off Cornell's suspension bridge over Fall Creek.)
Tink's weekly photo challenge is safety and danger. Here are views off the bridge, plus one of the massive cables, then below are views of it. The warning signs at the end of the bridge are on a path along the edge of this gorge, which is hundreds of feet deep. Fall Creek is a little river behind my house, but in descending approx. 400 feet to Cayuga Lake, it cuts a very deep and narrow gorge with several waterfalls. The middle pic above is looking straight down off the bridge at a number of Cornell students swimming and drinking beers on the floor of the gorge. I shudder to imagine what a small pebble falling off the side of the gorge might do to their heads. YES, a student died in June near that spot, washed away over the waterfall. And Cornell has a reputation for suicides off these bridges. Every year it seems there are accidents and deaths in the gorges. There are 3 of these gorges going through campus!
Beautiful but dangerous.

9 comments:

Fortune Cookies said...

beautiful view, but that makes me want to hold on tight and shut my eyes!!! YIKES that's high

Anonymous said...

I'm sure glad they have nice solid sides on those footbridges!

Hilary said...

But how beautiful is that! I'd love to see in in full autumn foliage. I'll bet it's incredible.

Linda Starr said...

Wow, scary and beautiful - great photos. I remember going to a place years ago called Ausable Casam somewhere in New York and this gorge reminds me of it.

gary rith said...

Oh I know, gorgeous. Of course, as strong as the bridge is, it SWAYS back and forth in the wind....

Janet said...

That's the thing...gorges and cliffs and things are beautiful, but you have to use caution! Great shots, Gary :-)

Newt said...

Wow that is awesomely beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shots! I love that view. I joined the WWC, come see mine...
http://blog.pabees.org

Tink said...

Yikes! I wouldn't be going near those things. Great pictures though. :D