Saturday, September 13, 2008

colds, kilns, and hallucinations

Usually you hear me moan and whine about runny noses, stuffed head and my every-3-week cold. This one is bad, therefore I have been suffering it more stoically and quietly. I made the mistake of mowing the lawn yesterday morning before it rained, which made me feel like I'd been hit by a bus. So I didn't get much done yesterday, other than to fill the trash can with tissues. And read!
Colds give you wild dreams don't they? Plus I had gone to bed mad and angry about the kiln breaking down 30 miutes from completion. I managed to try to get some power into it to help it toward a finish, like a car with a flat driving 4 miles to the repair shop. A quick peek inside just now shows an excellent firing, but I dreamt of underfired pots. Later I will take the kiln apart for the second time this week....
but then I dreamed I was a high school senior. The first day. AND the prettiest and smartest girl in school asked me to prom. I hadn't thought of Glendi in over 25 years, but there she is asking me out to the prom last night. I was feeling pretty smug, like the cat who ate the canary and it was announced in the newspaper and everybody wondered about it and thought I was pretty special. EXCEPT for my best friend Stefan, who really was her boyfriend. Interesting this weaving of real events and dreamed events, but anyway, he wanted to kill me, and she actually treated me like a piece of furniture that could talk, so I was wondering if I was in some drama between them...
Yes, that is me down there.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gary - I know I've mentioned this before, but - do you get more 'colds' in the spring and fall? Perhaps they're a touch of allergies?

Do you use honey at all? How about trying 2 tsps of honey w/ 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water every day. It's excellent for the immune system.

Di Mackey said...

Get well soon! My granddaughter has her first 'back to school' cold and is sneezing and coughing all over us here. It looks like a horror one ... sigh, and she confessed that they don't wash their hands and rub snot all over each other ... she was laughing as she admitted to that one. Four years old and already she's teasing me.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are not feeling well. There is "stuff" going around. Bridget has a wicked cold, Jacob has a classmate with a stomach bug, and a little girl at Bridget's preschool is sick. 'Tis the season!

gary rith said...

Kate et Jim--You have a point, but when the whole body has the chills and shakes and sneezes, seems like a cold. And it also seems typical of a new school year! And I should try your remedy!
Thanks all!

gary rith said...

neti pot? probably something legal in California but a felony in every other state....
my wife says that mercury is in retrograde...so I guess that explains a lot, plus, of course, in a couple of days the full moon

Anonymous said...

I've heard alot of great things about the Neti Pot - even saw one demonstrated on a show. I haven't the nerve to try it. Though they say it works wonders. They have them in our health food stores here.

*Cheri - do you use it?

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are sick........i hate colds.

My daughter K started soccer today, and played at my old highschool, man that brought back memories. It turns out she was placed on a team with a bunch of our old highschool gang (who all happen to still be teaching there too!).

But, I didn't get asked to the prom. Too bad.....

Linda Starr said...

What a cute teddy bear - is it a Steiff? I've been watching too much Antique Roadshow

Who takes all these photos of you? Mrs. Pottersblog?

I'd like to suggest at the slightest hint of feeling sick try the Wellness Forumla - from the healthfood store, it has all kinds of minerals and vitamins all rolled into one caplet. I think it would help to boost your immune system to ward off more colds. Oh and cold germs can stay on a doorknob for 24 hours.

Couldn't be a pet dander allergy could it? blasphemy, I know

Get well soon.

gary rith said...

thanks all---colds happen, right?

Anonymous said...

Awwww, wook at da cuddwy teddy bear!! And Penny, too...she must be as good as a cuddwy teddy bear.