Monday, September 08, 2008

Mister Potsblog goes back to school


Classes at Cornell University's Pot Shop begin again today. I teach advanced Monday and Thursdays. My classes in the summer each had only 2 students, so we did whatever the students wanted. These are much bigger classes, so I GOT ORGANIZED and planned. I wanted a comp book for notes, couldn't decide which to buy the orange or the green? I got both, and covered the price with a little piggy sticker. So, I have a wad of papers to stuff in there, I should finish my planning and go over there, and stop blogging and messing around. I am bringing a pot or two, which shows who I am and what I make.
The students could be anybody, but they are invariably a whole hell of a lot smarter than me--literally rocket scientists and brain surgeons, learning pottery. However, my pigs and elephants kick a$$.

10 comments:

Lynda said...

Oh yeah, they do kick it! They'll be in awe of you, you know.

Get a binder with pockets - much easier to cram stuff in it.

gary rith said...

Hmmm, yes, some type of folder thing maybe......

Anonymous said...

They make orange comp books??
And to think I have a stack of boring black ones downstairs...
Shhhhhhh....don't tell my kids about the cool ones!

Jessica said...

They'll love you! You have a lot to teach them. :)

Susan as Herself said...

I have always loved thos eold composition notebooks. Perfect for taking notes and rewferring to them for years on end!!!

However, if you have a mess of loose papers, you can always get one of those zip-around folder portfolio thingees and just keep the comp book in it.

Fortune Cookies said...

they may be rocket scientists and brain surgeons, but they aren't the brilliant avant garde, anarcho-punk, neo-rococo, semi-baroque potter that you are! They will l-o-v-e you !

Chatty said...

Knowledge is necessary for rocket science and surgery - true.

But, to be a good potter requires TALENT.

Knowledge, by implication, can be LEARNED.

Talent just IS. You either have it or you don't.

It was once pointed out to me that when it comes to graduating from medical school (to mention only one) all it takes is enough TIME and MONEY.

But talent can't be bought, and it can't be earned, and no amount of time will achieve it. Because (see above) you either HAVE it or you DON'T!

And YOU have it ; )

When it comes to notebooks, I prefer the orange - I just can't find them out here...maybe if I went to a college bookstore or something...

PEACE said...

Can't wait to hear how your day went.

I remember taking pottery in high school and the wheel was on that you had to turn with your foot and keep it going. Now this was in the 70's, with the big bell bottoms and there I was trying to be cool and my pants somehow got caught and pulled me right off the stool and around on the floor....my hand hit the pot I was throwing and it hit some really cute guy in the head. It was so embarrassing!

gary rith said...

!!!!!
These comp books were 1.29. The black ones were 2 bucks! No BRAINER!
Oh, Peace, high school and its humiliations.....

Mother of Invention said...

They do indeed kick butt and they'll love you as a teacher. They'll be in the middle of a brain surgery and stop, suddenly realizing, "I'd rather be making (throwing?) pots with Gary!!"

Whoops, there goes the scalpel!
Urge to mold the grey matter!