Wednesday, September 17, 2008

MIL comes to town


(cups by Gary Rith)
My mother-in-law graduated from Cornell, right here in Ithaca, 55 or more years ago, and she is visiting us for a couple of days. I won't say my mother-in-law is a party animal, but she is a whole lot of fun, esp. for a lady pushing 80. Or even if she was only pushing 30. I adore her.
Joe's Restaurant was here in the 30's, and it is still here. Different Joe, but still Joe's. In her freshman year, my MIL returned home at Christmas and told her father she had racked up 300 dollars in charges at Joe's (!!! a fortune!!! esp. in the late 1940s!) and her father told her to get a job....
We go to Joe's tonight.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always love it when people say they adore their in-laws. My MIL is awesome, too!

Hey, those are some swirly footed mugs there! Texture...I love texture. I think I'm a kinesthetic coffee/wine/anything drinker.

And the masthead of Penny looks like a watercolor painting! :)

Knight said...

Those mugs are gorgeous! Have fun with the mother-in-law. Don't let anyone get arrested.

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

I absolutely LOVE my in-laws. I have the best and most fabtastically wonderiffic MIL and FIL!!!

We are very lucky, those of us who do. I have friends who don't. And, it is awful.

gary rith said...

My MIL is also a beauty. Was and is. And they say if you want to know what the daughter will look like when she is older..... :^)

Anonymous said...

your MIL sounds like a lot of fun. that's a great story you shared with us.

tt said...

I adored my MIL. she died along time ago though and I still miss her. Same with the FIL...
Good for you. Love for family makes for special times.
I'm sure they're smitten with you too :)

Anonymous said...

As many times as I've been married (haha) I've only had one 'set' of living in-laws. The MIL was a deliberate b****, but the FIL wasn't too bad. (of course the ex took after his mother!) lol

You're very lucky, Gary.