Saturday, December 30, 2006

MAD POTTER

Not to be confused with George Ohr, the Mad potter of Biloxi.
This relates to glaze chemistry, thanks again for continuing the discussion, Gordo. My instructor Stanley told this story: historically European potter's knew they would go crazy and die young, it just seemed to be a hazard of the job, one hundred plus years ago. Naturally, we know now, that since they used lead in their glaze recipes, it rotted their brains. Naturally, I do not use any lead or terrible poisons in my glazes. Anyway, because potters knew they would go mad and die young, they were party animals, and every Saturday night villagers would say 'lock up your daughters, the potters are coming to town!'.

10 comments:

Lynnea said...

I love the stuff I learn on your blog. I love the red on the sample tile below - is that the red of my pots - or what they will be? Its lovely.

I'm getting quite twitter-pated to see the pots fired! Just so you know I'm here and enjoying the entire process.

Anonymous said...

Why yes, it is your red, and your stuff is around 1700 degrees now.

Anonymous said...

I have more questions to come, my friend. :-D

First, I have to try to recall the last time I saw/heard the word "twitter-pated" in regular conversation.

Anonymous said...

You know, Gordo,maybe I have never seen that word? Or even heard it?
Those pots are about 2100 degrees now and within an hour of being fully cooked.

Anonymous said...

You've never seen Bambi, Gary?

I expect Maggie means defintion 2.1:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=twitterpated

Anonymous said...

Darn Blooger.

Definition here.

Lynnea said...

Yes Gordo. I think if I were romantically attracted to Gary's pots, the both you ought to stop conversing with me, RIGHT NOW. But don't worry, I did mean happy giddy. And I did get that from Bambi.

Anonymous said...

:-D

Anonymous said...

Oh! I love classic Disney, but havn't seen Bambi, the poster child for the vegetarian movement. I like Dumbo and Pinochio and Mickey and Lady and the Tramp and the Dalmatians and beauty and the Beast was good...

Lynnea said...

This explains a lot Gary. You really ought to see Bambi just once. I love classic Disney and new Disney and pretty much anything Pixar. I am a total animation freak. Except for a lot of the 'throw it together and call it a movie' animation made this past year by various studios. I like the good stuff!