Wednesday, December 06, 2006

like 2 holes in the head

So, I say 'hey, before I make another rack of piggies, let's quick fix the door!' The studio door, you see, is ancient, but unlike the rest, or most of the rest of the house, it didn't work very well. It can be excused, however, as it is very old and has seen many comings and goings. Easy to imagine it as STATE OF THE ART, special ordered, back in 1906. Really! So, it is a bit banged up, but worth fixing. Unlike my friends Denis, Greg and Gordo, and especially my wife, I have NO carpentry abilities or talents. But I have a cordless drill.
OK, in the end, after 4 hours, and it was dark and cold, the door was done and works GREAT, although my repair looks terrible from the inside. C'est la vie. There was one point though when I was holding a little block of wood and merrily drilling away I was struck by a story told to me this weekend by a sculptor friend who we will call here 'John', because he would be embarrassed about his part in the story. John ran a drill press through his right hand last week, and what else does a sculptor, OR POTTER have, but his hands? (luckily, my hands drilled only wood Tuesday :^) OK, so John and his wife head to the emergency room with a sad and bloody mess. But they were second in line. This being Ithaca, they had to wait a LOOONG time in line, because the gentleman in front of them was into body modification and had pushed two three inch nails into his forehead. And there was the guy, sitting in the waiting room, with other concerned citizens, with two nails sticking out of his head. The man had to be dragged to the emergency room, and he liked the nails where they were, so the whole thing was time consuming....
Oh yeah, I fixed the bathhtub drain too.

4 comments:

Lynnea said...

Maybe they should have left the nails in. I mean really if you're stupid enough to like it...

I hope your friend is doing better.

gary rith said...

John is a really friendly, upbeat, positive guy. Hard to imagine him letting it get him down. There was a point yesterday when the drill skipped, and skipped again, and one more time when I was thinking 'what am I DOING!'

Anonymous said...

We'll make a carpenter out of you yet, Gary. :-)

gary rith said...

Sharp objects give me the willies.