Thursday, February 28, 2008

Shane checks in from Derry, Northern Ireland

You know how it is, a wide variety of Nigerians and Bulgarians send you spam and try to get into your accts. Potters are alway struggling to keep their secrets, as we know from the whole Kayla/Virginia thng, and now Shane writes from Derry, Northern Ireland:

"Hi,After trawling the internet looking for pottery related to flowers and plants, I found your site and I really like your work. I am studying art and design at school and I would like to include you and some of your pieces as my 'work of others' research. If its not too much trouble, could you email me a short paragraph or two about yourself (why are you interested in pottery, when and where you were born) and some information on the two pieces which are mentioned at the bottom of this email (size, inspiration, how they were made, technique).I realise that you don't know me and you probably aren't too sure about giving a stranger these details, but I am not asking for anything personal unless you are happy to mention it. Please get back to me as I am on a deadline for this work. I appreciate your help and your work, here are the pieces I am asking about;"

I reply:

"Sure thing, except tell me where you are studying and live, which I think is a fair exchange!
There is a lot more info on me at my blog http://grpottersblog.blogspot.com/
which has my bio across the right side and many examples of my work and everyday______whatever.

The 2 examples below are easy to talk about. Sip, swig, savor is a plaque showing a pig dog and bunny eating and drinking, and was used in an exhibit at a restaurant. The theme of the show was sip, swig, savor. I enjoy sculpting little animals, and I also enjoy making miniature pots on the wheel, so this combined both. It is about 8 inches in diameter.
The bowls I made after I saw Japanese celadon glazed bowls in the shape of lotus flowers at a museum. My bowls turned out well, but I plan to do them again in a different way. Each bowl is a large soup or salad size, 6-7 inches in diameter.

I went to college to study painting but saw the ceramics studio my first day and got into that instead, 25 years ago. I have been full-time for about 11 years, and it is my career and income. I think there are a lot of ordinary brown pots in this world, and I like to make pieces that are bright and fun, which most of my work is. My wife and I lived in New Hampshire for many years but moved to Ithaca, NY 2 years ago, the coolest place on earth.

OK Shane, ball is in your court, who are you etc? Hope this helps!

gr"

Shane tells us a little:

"Thanks for replying so quick, it was a great help. I live and study in Derry, Northern Ireland. I am in 5th year at Saint Columbs college and I am studying lots of different subjects but I enjoy art. We have a great ceramics lab which is where I make all my ceramic pieces. I am still very amateur but I am improving.Thanks, Shane"

OK, Shane, but next time you OWE US pics of your own work, we'd love to see it here!!!!

10 comments:

Gordo said...

Quite the following you have here, Mr. Potter. Very cool.

gary rith said...

They say I am very big in Bulgaria.

Anonymous said...

oh Gary.. you are such an enabler ;)

Anonymous said...

you're becoming quite a celeb. will you even recognize me in a few years? at least i'll be able to say, i knew him him...i really did.

gary rith said...

I am quite famous amongst my dogs and cats when I open a can of tuna.

Unknown said...

And he's also funny and kind, as well as very talented

gary rith said...

whoo hooo, ML! your check is in the mail!

gary rith said...

wait, St Columb's is quite famous, with Seamus Heaney and John Hume as alums!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Columb's_College

Kayla said...

so now you've got TWO student stalkers! excellent!

gary rith said...

TWO is a handful!