Monday, February 25, 2008

the Oscars and today's cultural lessons and discussions



So Juno won best screenplay for Diablo Cody and she totally deserves it and the movie, in my mind, could have won more Oscars, such as Ellen Paige winning best actress rather than whatever character did win. My mother-in-law won't see it because she thinks it glorifies teen pregnancy (watch out Jamie Lynn!) but I think it is about a young person in a difficult spot, as old as history, and how she deals with it. It is about character and love and support. Adults need to wake up and pay attention too, I think, because as the step-mother says 'young people get bored and they have socks'.
I have read 'No Country for Old Men' and will not see the movie. It is a blood fest. Other than 'Rattatouille' and nominee 'Persepolis', I am not too interested in the rest. Next week is the missus' birthday and we go to 'La Dolci Vita', a classic!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only watched a little bit of the awards. Very sleepy - went to bed.

kate&jim

cm said...

I caught about 5 minutes. Some day I'd like to go to an Oscars party, if only for the chance to dress up.

Anonymous said...

Oh CM - wouldn't that be great to get all gussied up like that and hobnob w/ George Clooney??? *swoon* ha!

kate&jim

Anonymous said...

According to the NYT, red was the color, unless you were Cate Blanchette and looked mahvelous in violet. The necklaces were fewer and farther between, so I guess this is the year to not mind not getting invited. Oh, well.

cm said...

hobnob, indeed. heh