Thursday, February 14, 2008

from China!



Pots from Cornell's Johnson Museum. On the top floor there is a selection of art from the far east. These items (why didn't I take notes???) are Chinese and many centuries old. The top piece is a gorgeous celadon color with a DRAGON, and the ewer in the lower left has, if I remember correctly, a lion on top. And then there are the exquisite small pots next to each of the larger ones.....
I was thinking the other day about all these smart and capable young people out there, graduating with MBAs and making mega-bucks at 26. You can shake your head at the wonder of young people being so smart and rich. BUT, one thing I like about the arts is that it really takes experience to learn a craft. Sure, you can be a young innovator, but a person's art works improve with maturity. You also hear about muscle memory, so even as you become forgetful as you age, like me, you still know physically how to make things. You hear of elderly musicians never losing their touch or their ability. This was something appreciated by ancient societies, the experience of the master. So, even if they think they're hot shots, phhhlllbbbttt to the yuppies.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh mannn. I had a really good comment on here and blooger lost it!

speaking of older societies and wisdom and aging.. gordo and I were yakking earlier about similar things.. how lost sense of community and embracing and celebrating people's age, and accomplishments and important dates.. not just birthdays, or officious holidays. we need more of "hey this is the anniversary of you being my friend - let's celebrate it!" =)

Anonymous said...

whoa, deep baby....

Anonymous said...

I think that's about as deep as I get.. if you dig any deeper, you'll pop out the other side now ;)

gary rith said...

Like I was saying, ppphhhllbbbbt to the yuppies!

Susan as Herself said...

I agree. There is always something to be said for the suppleness, stamina and enthusiasm of youth. But you won't get the consistent quality and deep-seated wisdom and experience that is behind the work of an older professional.

Ain't it the truth.