Thursday, December 07, 2006

Guest Potter Erica Wurtz


(pottery by Erica Wurtz from Mass. Cultural Council)
I am a slug on the sidewalk.

I went to college with Erica Wurtz, but the truth is I was in pottery kindergarten and she was in college. By the time she was a sophomore, her work was more accomplished than mine is now, and I have been working with clay 23 plus years. Yeah, she was good, only got better.
Erica took a whole different route to art school. At 18 she apprenticed to a potter, and at 19 was a freshman. I noticed when I was a college student that all the folks who had worked for a while straight out of high school were miles ahead of the rest of us in maturity, and simple gratitude to be locked up on a campus with the bills paid and the food in the dining room ready to eat. So, not to sound like I worship this woman's ability or talent, but she happens to be extremely nice (well, she was 20 years ago), creative and hard working. I was a slacker in most ways, and a slob. But enough comparison, just check out this web site and her work. So in recent years I have stumbled over her work everywhere, visiting Chicago, 'oh Erika made those pots!' or Northampton, Mass 'Oh, more pots by Erika!' in a magazine, 'wow, Erika's work looks GOOD'. I believe that she sketches ideas, makes parts and shapes on the wheel, and when they have dried somewhat she chops, whacks and smoothes them together. Pretty darn cool.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can appreciate her work and the skill to make them. But I am a simple man and prefer simplre lines and things... oh yes.. and more whimsical too for some reason.

hey.. what time DO you get up in the mornings anways!?? 6 am posting wow ;)

Anonymous said...

Well, her work becomes sculptural.
The missus has an insane schedule for a month: 12-13 hour days plus part of both Saturday and Sunday. The last day she had off was when we saw you guys last month!
I sure get a lot of work done myself, too.

Anonymous said...

My best work time IS in the mornings. I'm the most focused and productive. Afternoons.. well.. THAT's another sto.. zzzzzzzzzzz

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know. Nothing stops the dogs and cats from napping the afternoon away...