Thursday, December 07, 2006

Canadian Water Dogs


Jack and Buster are Labrador retrievers, and therefore love everything, especially that which is COLD AND WET. Our old dog Petey was tiny, had a short coat, and his underbelly etc. dragged on the ground when there was a snowfall. He did not care for snow. Having lived in the woods of New Hampshire before on a far out dirt road, and now on a MAJOR STATE HIGHWAY I am impressed at how the plows buzz around and throw salt all over. Easy driving, probably so people won't skid off the road and into my living room (oh yes, the front lawn is quite narrow) Anyway, Holly Jolly and all that, just a little snow shower the weather man says....(that seems to be accumulating pretty fast and deep)

10 comments:

Lynnea said...

Aww what cuties!

We get the snow plow and salt too. The sand is the messy stuff but I bet its not so messy as a car in the living room!

gary rith said...

I think that there is great advantage to living on a state highway compared to a dirt road...

Lynnea said...

We're actually on a side little road, though not dirt. But here the plows go everywhere. They just frequent the highways more I suppose. We pay a plow service to do our driveway because we live in a wind tunnel and the first year we lived here Hubby went to shovel the drive. He shoveled for two hours in the wind and when he finished, it needed shoveling again. It was worth service costs to have him inside more often!

Anonymous said...

We thought we had good plowing in NH but this is amazing. In theory I don't have much to shovel, driveway wise, but I may change that statement by March.

Alan said...

The Labs, you must appreciate, are not a Canadian breed. Like the lovely Newfoundlander (the only dogs I dream of) are pre-1949 dogs so existed before they joined the greater nation. The Nova Scotian Duck Trolling Retriever is the only Canadian breed.

gary rith said...

OH! I hadn't thought of it that way....

Anonymous said...

ahh yes the lovely, strong newfoundlander! love them dogs! .. very noble and playfull. I remember being pulled on a sled in winter and a little wagon during the summer by a neighbour's Newfoundlander. .. back when I was wee.

But ALL dogs are great (as is testiment to my little one I have). I also have a passion for Irish Wolfhounds.

Anonymous said...

your dog, ahem, is not a wolfhound, greg, but it is a little cutie.

Anonymous said...

i can honestly say that buster and jack are the best dogs alive i know of.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Big D. As you said once 'they're all good, but Buster is special'