Sunday, September 09, 2007

Our hero and routine


I am currently reading a book about the poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning before she got together with the poet Robert Browning. She was a recluse, and sickly and hated breaks in her routine. She was also, of course, brilliant and skilled, and it is said Browning released her from the prison her family kept her in. OK, fine, but my point is about brilliant people who are reclusive, such as myself. I hate breaks in my routine and have a hard time dealing with people.
Well, alert and long-term readers will recall that last spring I was an actor in mock trials at Cornell Law School. During that time, I who had never served on a jury, received a pre-trial summons of some kind from the county court--the real thing wanted me as a juror. I was glad to learn about juries in the exercises at the law school, but quickly found watching a bunch of lawyers argue in front of me...not exactly my cup of tea.
I am due for a week of vacation from my routine (damnitall) at the county supreme court. I am testing the possibilities: 'No hablo Ingles Senor' or maybe 'Off with his head!'(with a karate chop for emphasis) or maybe 'hang em all and let God sort it out' or perhaps 'I am an anarchist and don't believe this court has any authority so I am going home'.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir,
Please see which response would receive the most sympathetic reception before you decide which one to deliver. They are all, ahem, a bit strong.
Your loving wife

Anonymous said...

You could plead economic hardship, telling them you're self employed, which is the truth.

I have almost the same problem in construction, because we don't get paid for days we don't work.

EH

Anonymous said...

Jim was called last fall for jury duty, and he had to call every night after 5pm to see if he had to go...he never did have to report.

I, however, have never been called. BUT last week they sent me a 'Juror Qualification Questionnaire'! I've yet to fill it out, BUT, I'm sure that once I do, they'll be calling upon me. (By the way...if I don't fill this thing out, they can 'summons' me! Imagine that!)

I'm sorry...my life is very important to me, I don't have time for this BS. I'm not going to watch a bunch of BS nor be subjected to it. I will find a way out! lol!

Besides...I have low blood sugar, and need to eat at regular intervals.

How's Emily today?

Anonymous said...

Emily is good thanks.

I made the same call: no county court jurors needed, but grand jury and supreme court are needed....
like I say 'hey, don't waste my time, GUILTY!'.

Anonymous said...

yuck, I know what you mean with the routine thing. Poor Gary x

Anonymous said...

It is not easy to get me out into the public.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I like the last option. I'd like to do jury duty. No fair that apartment dwellers do pay taxes (comes out of the rent, but most people don't know that) but don't get to do jury duty.

Unknown said...

Oh, if I only had had decent pay for all the hours I spent in a jury box listening to arguing lawyers! I finally got fed up and the next time I got a call (I must have had summonses at least half a dozen times! Lucky me, not!) I pulled out all my acting skills, limped up the aisle to face the judge with my plea to be excused, informed him I was having a very painful flair up of my (non-existent) sciatica, and limped out, excused!!!! And I did remember to keep limping until I was sure I was beyond the court's vision.

GenX at 40 said...

Apartment dwellers do jury duty. My wife had to do three weeks or so a few years back and may well again even now we are mortgaged. Do your civic duty with a grin, Gary. Never mind the advice of nair-do-wells.

Gordo said...

I filled out the jury qualification questionnaire around about 1992 and haven't heard a peep, since.

In Ontario, the jury qualification list comes from the voter's list. Somehow, Philip wound up on the voter's list four years ago and was never taken off. He's had the questionnaire twice! He filled it out in crayon the last time ... LOL

GenX at 40 said...

I'd love to do jury duty myself but I am barred. I have twice been a witness in criminal matters which was quite interesting.

Anonymous said...

I'd do it though I'd not enjoy it. Civic duty and that. But... I've never been called and in 2 years I'll be too old. Or it might be 7 years.

National Service was a 'waste of time', too. But... it taught me about computers. Go with the flow... :-)