Thursday, February 22, 2007

brown glazes





I rarely use my brown glaze. As a matter of fact, it has been at least 2 years since I have glazed anything brown. I like a bright and colorful glaze, and I have a lot of them. My brown is from I recipe I saw somewhere and changed a bit here and there to make it more interesting, and I named it pecan pie. There is a brown mug from 3 years ago in the top pic. The glaze is full of speckly textures: sort of a dark tan with reddish brown speckles. The miracle was, despite sitting in a bucket all this time, I added a little water, mixed it well and zoom, ready to test. It is a disgusting mess to use--deep blood/brick red that stains everything. Whreas all the all other glazes can be applied at the same moment, you need a seperate session to use this brown, then scrub up the mess, change the rinse water and towels. I think my moose will benefit from this treatment.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking at those pics is kinda like Where's Waldo, with all the little goodies hidden in there.

gary rith said...

This has been a 2 weeks of 'why does everything take forever?'. There is a backlog of everything BUT: I have completed all the paperwork, made the calls that have to be made, resurrected the brown, ordered what has to be ordered, and all that remains is mixing all the other glazes, a disgusting and dirty and lengthy task that cannot be put off any longer.

Anonymous said...

aha! I think I see my mugs in the background. looking good. (was that Freddy Prinz who said that?)

gary rith said...

Aha! Once again, br shows his brilliance. I am glad you are a scientific guy br: the strawberry red glaze is green before firing. Tin oxide and chrome oxide look green before, but firing them together makes red. Well, pink to red to purple is how this glaze works.

Mona Buonanotte said...

Could you make a chocolate moose? Mix the brown with...uh...something else? (I don't have my colour wheel with me, obviously....)

Mmmm...chocolate mousse....

Anonymous said...

Mona, is it lunch time?????

meno said...

Just being nosy, do you exhibit at arts and crafts fairs during the season?

Mother of Invention said...

Yeah! Any Purebred Canadian Moose worth his salt just has to be brown!!

gary rith said...

Well, Meno, as I have been muttering recently, about paperwork, YES, I do fairs. I have done hundreds in the last ten years, many less nowadays. I have just paid my $ for Ithaca Festival June 1, 2 and will also be on the Ithaca Art Trail, but that is where everybody comes to me. I also am a member of a coop and have a bunch of stores selling my stuff....fairs can be profitable, but they can also be back breaking, expensive, and the weather can be BAD.
Mother of, you really are hilarious, I think that you should hold a little bar-b-q in your back yard this summer for all your blog fans. I am vegan though, will that be a problem?

Mother of Invention said...

That'd be neat except it would involve a flight for most people except 1 blogger I know!

VEGAN??!! Ya mean we can't even entice you with the House Specialty, Salmon with special sauce done properly on a Canadian West Coast Cedar Board?
Crap, I guess you'll have to eat a SOYA dog on a stale old white bun!!!