Tuesday, March 04, 2008

no more lousy photos!




(teapot by Gary Rith, lightbox by Gary Rith and Missus Potsblog)
So my pictures are always terrible, until TODAY. I was complaining last week that my pottery pics are awful, and my old pal Gordo stepped in. He had seen an article where a fellow described how to make a photo light box out of duct tape and chewing gum using your Swiss army knife. Well, roughly speaking.
Alright, so we chopped holes in the sides of the box, installed bristol paper inside and lined it with white paper, then tracing paper over the holes and then proper 'daylight' light bulbs, and that's it. It is easy to see the parts I did, because tape is peeling off and it looks messy, my wife's half is very tidy and solid looking.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! one can really see the difference. now the photos match your creations. well done. that gordo guy is pretty smart.

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a trasnformation! I didn't think your pictures were bad before, but the box certainly makes a huge difference.

Anonymous said...

and again .. WOW! I knew light boxes were good things. NOw I have to get on the bandwagon and make one for myself. Way to go potterfamily!

Ellen said...

Nice! Can I pack up my stuff and drive up there and get you to photo it all for me? My pix suck....and I have a lightbox, I just hate taking it out, and setting it up. I wish I had room to just leave the set up UP. Ya know?

Gordo said...

Wow, that looks great, Gary! Glad to help. I subscribe to a number of blogs that post things like this all the time. It's just a matter of barfing up the proper link at the right time. :-D

Anonymous said...

Aha. So that was why the soap dish.

"Tell ya what, honey, you make me this here light box thing, and I'll let you play with the clay."

And she fell for it. Tricky, Potterman.

gary rith said...

yes, I have a few tricks up my sleeve, Celeste....
the reason this caught my eye is because I am a cheap guy and prefer scrounging for materials before spending money, and thanks for the nice comments!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I do NOT fall for stuff! Except for posing for pictures, which I fall for pretty regularly, sheesh.

Mother of Invention said...

Great! 'Cept how the heck do I get Mooky and Socks to stay in that box till I get their GOOD side?!!!!