Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Julie Dean and Katie Sullivan check in: and an old dog learns new tricks



(me, Katie, or is it Katey or Katy? and Julie glazing)
So, this winter I am shaking up the brain and learning some new pottery techniques at Cornell's pot shop with the very skilled and experienced potter Julie Dean. It is like I am going through life speaking French everyday, and Julie comes along and teaches me Italian. I mean, I always attach the spout of a teapot first, then the handle, but Julie puts the handle on first! Who could imagine the possibilities that creates! I am grateful to her for the fresh perspectives.
It is also true that I have limited skills in this life. Pretty much, I make pots and ahem, blog. Katie Sullivan here is a graduate student form Minnesota studying applied mathematics, and making wicked cool pottery on the side. It is humbling when you are faced with multi-talented renaissance types. My joke, of course (other than that I took calculus 3 times, not very successfully), is that in ten years Katie will wise up and drop this math thing and become a full-time potter.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey there.. be careful not to change your ways tooo much!.. next thing you know we'll hear about you hosting huge galas and making grand pottery award speeches in front of throngs! ;)

Actually, I think it's GREAT that you are out there absorbing (adsorbing?) new thoughts, view points, and mixing it up! :)

Anonymous said...

ok I JUST noticed.. 4:45AM!!? .. not only UP and about.. but coherent to post such posts!.. wow

Gordo said...

Being able to change viewpoints and accept other ideas is an immensely useful talent, Gary. Good for you.

Anonymous said...

Pot shop? Oh man, don't tell Maurice, he'll wanna go shopping.

gary rith said...

it is a wide open and infinite world, pottery!
as far as this applied math thing goes, I wonder what it is? balancing checkbooks, designing stress loads for bridges and calculus all in one?

Unknown said...

I don't think you really want to find out about that, Gary. I KNOW I woudln't. And, for what it's worth, my youngest son had to do that same calculus course three times, too, just to get through and get that diploma. Moi, well, when someone says calculus, all I can say is what? I forgave him for one miss, since the teacher spoke in tongues, or something un=understandible by your typical U.S. citizen.

gary rith said...

you said it, and does ANYBODY (other than my wife) know how to balance a checkbook?

Ellen said...

My husband is really good at balancing a checkbook, Gary. That is why we have separate accounts.

gary rith said...

balance, BAH!

Unknown said...

no one else in my life would be blogging at 4:54 a.m. you are a hoot. i think the pictures are great. and i'm proud of you for going outside your box. the great thing is, you are making my box bigger by participating in the class. thanks for all you bring.
oh, and i love the 1987 picture the best!!
julie

Unknown said...

no one else in my life would be blogging at 4:54 a.m. you are a hoot. i think the pictures are great. and i'm proud of you for going outside your box. the great thing is, you are making my box bigger by participating in the class. thanks for all you bring.
oh, and i love the 1987 picture the best!!
julie

gary rith said...

Julie!

Anonymous said...

Julie has a way of expanding the worlds of everyone she meets. and she has that special gift of making you believe you can do it. such optimism!
(I've known her since grade school - so I can attest to it!)
kathleen

gary rith said...

Julie's friend Kathlen, yippee!