Monday, November 05, 2007

OK then




Stop one yesterday was Peterborough, NewHampshire and the Sharon Arts Center Gallery, where I dropped off 3 boxes of mugs and bowls and such. We had lived near there from 94-2006, and as I say, I feel like a ghost wandering old haunts, but the store is fine and has sold my things in quantity for years, a very good relationship to retain.
Lower 2 pics are from western Massachusetts and Sheffield pottery. The lower picture is a small MOUNTAIN of freshly dug clay. You just want to get naked and squirm in it, don't you?
I bought about 600 pounds of clay and glaze supplies and various tools and toys.
I'm beat. That was a long day.

8 comments:

Ellen said...

You poor thing having to drive all the distance to get clay, tools and toys! I have barely a ten minute drive to Davens, or 20 to Kickwheel...

gary rith said...

there is probably a supplier somewhere closer, but Sheffield is the real deal: a family business with a hole in the back yard. Three generations of selling clay, plus they also sell my pots in their gallery. So, you know, you leave the house with a car load of pots and return with a car load of clay.

Ellen said...

The gallery idea is nice. Davens does have some stuff around, but I think it is mostly the owner's and employees' pots. Kickwheel has a gallery, but they only have the family and the teachers work there. I have heard of Sheffield's. So, how long will 600 pounds of clay last you? That is a LOT of mugs and bowlies.

Anonymous said...

"You just want to get naked and squirm in it, don't you?"

How did you know?

deborah

gary rith said...

Except today it has become cold and rainy which sorta puts an end to that mood, re: naked in the pile of wet clay.
I use 1000-1500 pounds of clay a year. I used to use a lot more, but I make more little sculptures now than just one bowl after another. I am also not quite as young...

Gordo said...

Naked clay-squirming? I knew you had a dark side, Potter-man!

Unknown said...

Oooh, that sounds so wonderful, naked clay squirming. I wonder if I could figure out how to make a bed of it, heated and just the perfect consistency? OH, that's for spas, isn't it? Just don't leave the residue on too long, or GAry'll put you up for sale in all your glory!

gary rith said...

I have a feeling cold and wet conditons make for uncomfortable squirming...