Monday, April 07, 2008

black thumb!


People give me plants and seeds and assume I love to garden. Nothing could be further from the truth! Yesterday, after grousing and complaining, I planted a large number of flower seeds, with absolutely no hope that they will grow or prosper. Gardening takes something I don't have, which is what? Well, you have to weed, you have to water, you have to plant some things in sun, some in partial shade. I never get it right, and I believe most weeds have rights, therefore my gardening never gets anywhere, and for example, my successes are eaten by bugs, bunnies, woodchucks or deer.
I was slightly proud of this effort here, starting the seeds my wife had given me ('oh, thanks for nothing! what a burden!') and it was a hot sunny day and seemed gardeningish. This morning she tells me she got the seeds long ago, for ten cents a packet, dooming further an already doomed effort........

(in the front is lavendar and marigolds in pots: I have grown lavendar and marigolds easily in the past, and I have high hopes for those--I actually bought NEW lavendar seeds--I will feel like a million dollars if they make it)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i predict your thumbs will be turning green within a year or two.

The Internationalist said...

One trick might be to plant perennials. Then you just plant once and that's it. I recommend purple cone flower for sun. Lilies for shade.

Gordo said...

Withe the gardening that my father did and still does, you'd think I would have inherited some of a green thumb. You'd think wrong. Well, that's not entirely true. When I plant stuff and tend it it does well. It's the tending that I have issues with. LOL

gary rith said...

yeah, TENDING, as if life isn't already busy

Anonymous said...

EXACTLY! Pops is retired, for heaven's sake.