Saturday, March 01, 2008

March 1= 3 birthdays in this family



(my niece in 'The Princess Bride', Buster and the missus)
I have heard that if you go to a party of 20 people, the odds are nearly 100% that two people will have the same birthday. In this family, small as it is, three people have the same birthday.
My niece turns 18 today. She was born an enormous and fat blob, late, around ten and a half pounds! She is an adult now, maybe 5 feet tall and 95 pounds! She loves to act, and will hopefully study theater in college next year. When asked what she plans for her birthday, she says she is getting a tattoo, which I somehow find amusing, nobody else does. We sent her a box of cigars and a check for the new tat.
Buster is our nine year old lab mix. He is the sweetest and best behaved dog I have ever met, and he is enormous, bigger than my wife (or niece) at 113-120 pounds. He belonged to a neighbor who was going to put him to sleep at 6 weeks, because they had run over him with their car breaking his leg, and their goat had attacked him and given him a concussion. We took him instead, he was the size of a shoe, (not for long!) and our very practical vet just shrugged and said he would grow up fine. He did! He still has a limp, but he walks and runs and has fun, 9 blessed years, I love him so much.
Well, of course, then there is the missus. 48 today! She too was late, on a leap year, she had been due on feb. 29. My wife is gorgeous and sweet, and now that much closer to 50. I love you sweetie!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Careful, over the next two years I might turn into a grande dame.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MRS. P!

and to buster

and to the niece.

what a joyful day for the rith family. we're all going over for the party!

Gordo said...

Happy Birthday, Mrs. P!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthdays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why a party on that statistic/factoid?
people who like to party together are born together?

i've never run into that at a party or at work.
or does the magic number have to be 20 exactly?

Anonymous said...

which doesn't mean that it has never happened at a party i've been to.
i just know for sure that it hasn't happened.

Anonymous said...

oh, Deborah, um.....

Gordo said...

Gary, I found a link to prove it. When any group of people reaches 23, you have a slightly better than 50/50 chance that two of those people will share a birthday. Statistically speaking.

Keep this adage in mind, though: "There are lies, damn lies and statistics". :-D

Unknown said...

All that pooh-poohing of a theory. While I'm sitting here tears in my eyes at the sweetness of Gary's declaration of love for Mrs. Potter! So please let me dry my eyes, and then wish her a special birthday today and from here on out for all her years. And may they be many and good!

Anonymous said...

Here's to grande dames! And grande dames in training.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
gary rith said...

Thanks all! I must make some cupcakes. Please ignore the Bulgarian viral spam, which I shall remove....

Anonymous said...

huh?

poop poohing?

i was just curious.