Monday, May 07, 2007

I am not the Green Giant but....





..........this year I will grow tomatoes successfully OH YES! No slugs or other stuff this year, no sirree. I have 2 patio tomato plants (I AM CHEATING--I JUST BOUGHT THEM) which are these tough little plants that live on the deck, therefore they can't be over watered by the rain and eaten by slugs. I also have a terrible little circular weedpatch I cleared and planted flower seeds on. It still looked pretty bad, so I planted some pansies to color things up until the weeds, and maybe a few flowers, come up. I made a bunch of beagles today, too, but must rush off now for a hot date with my terrific wife (I must have been a martyred saint in my last life, as this life is pretty fun).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! Tomatoes in the sun! Don't care if you are cheating, Gary, you've made my day. Have you ever thought of/done ripe tomatoes on the vine along the edge of a plate? Just a thought from a tomato addict, you understand!

Anonymous said...

I know, unbelieveable, I already have a growing tomato, and many blossoms too!
I have made many strawberries on the edges of plates and bowls, grapes and blueberries too, and can imagine that a tomato would be possible. Easier than a strawberry?

Gordo said...

Lee Valley has these cool "things" called tomato craters that might help, Gary. They help direct water to the roots AND keep tomato cutworms from getting at your plants. The red colour is supposed to help them ripen faster, too. :-)

meno said...

It's so nice to hear from a man who likes his wife. You rock.

Anonymous said...

...and roll baby! Well sure, this lady is quite special and a lotta fun.
Gordo--that is a brilliant and simple device. If decide to have tomatoes in a garden I shall have to get those.

Anonymous said...

Toasted tomato sandwiches for everyone!

Anonymous said...

well, give it a few weeks cm, it is a very small tomato so far

Anonymous said...

MMMMM warm summer tomatoes fresh off the vine squirting into your mouth. now THAT is a slice of heaven.