Wednesday, May 23, 2007

the bat cave


15 or so years ago a friend said I looked like Michael Keaton's Batman. Somebody else said I was more handsome, even more than Tom Hanks. I beg to differ: they're taller than me!
So, for a brief year there, I liked to say 'I'm Batman!'.
Well, old houses have old problems, right? Our old house is, hmm, 1865 to now, 142 years old? Last summer the nooks and crannies, which when you look around are everywhere, allowed entry to five million bees, red squirrels, and next to the chimney, a bat cave. According to what I have read, the only thing to do is block out the bats, but you have to do it between fall and spring wehn they move in for the season, or they get stuck in house and die and stink.
Phase one is complete: the bat cave has been mortered over. I suspect that damn red squirrel who lived over my bedroom last winter came in that way too. Next, Trevor, the awesome carpenter across the street, will caulk all the little crevices that bees delight in colonizing.

No comments: