Wednesday, May 16, 2007

the shelter volunteer finishes his first shift


Well, as far as I am concerned, there is the good and the bad. The good is that I met a couple of sweet dogs and we romped in the sun and grass for awhile.
The bad is that it seems that at least 2/3 of the dogs at this shelter are pit bulls, rottweilers, or pit bull mixes. There are some very small young women who do not mind going into small rooms with some of these dogs, and then walking them. I tried, but as a person who has been attacked by a pit bull and German shepherd before, I won't do it anymore. I love dogs, nice dogs, energetic dogs, ugly dogs, stinky dogs, big or small, no problem. But I was in a 4 by 4 foot space yesterday with a rottweiler who ATE HER LEASH RIGHT OUT MY HANDS. Then a pit bull mix chewed on my arm, not breaking the skin, but letting me know the possibilities. No way. I do not like aggressive dogs, and will be working in the cat section from now on.

4 comments:

Gordo said...

Rotties have such a bum rap. I've never met an aggresive one, but like all animals, that depends on the owner.

gary rith said...

As they say, dogs who end up at the shelter are ofte PROBLEM dogs. With a large and aggressive dog, you can see that either it was a BAD owner and a BADLY cared for dog.

Gordo said...

Ahh, good point.

Mother of Invention said...

With your bad experience with them, I don't blame you. Our next door neighbour's have a rott. They're too lazy to ever take it for walks and it only gets let out in the yard twice a day. It is NOT friendly and comes running full speed barking ferociously and baring its teeth at us. It scares the crap out of me each time. All this as I watch my sassy cats walk the narrow ledge of fence taunting this dog....and I say to the, "Now would efinitely not be the best time to lose your frickin' balance, for if you do, you're on your own!"