Friday, June 29, 2007

history lessons






(historical pots and pots by Gary Rith)
Greenware is something I can sink my teeth into. English pots, white clay, green copper glaze, nice shapes, about 400 years old. Potters used the materials in their neighborhood which gave rise to local styles, and I love this one. So, little ribbed goblets and a pitcher in the style of greenware. As you see on the right, I have a perfect green glaze. Also, from the painting down a couple of frames, you see some nice looking jugs. When I set out to reproduce something, I look at it, then move off to make it in the studio partly by memory, partly the way I wish to make it, so these are not xerox copies.
My pal Greg is very interested in the early 1600s in England, style, dress, items of everyday use, food, habits, history. An interesting time, as the New World was settled, and the Old moved ahead politically, technologically, theologically.

4 comments:

Gordo said...

I love the shape and flow of old pottery jugs ... Very organic-looking.

Anonymous said...

Very well done! I agree with what gordo says..they work just as they are and fuctional. I bet they all are a pleasure to hold in one's hand- fitting there.

Anonymous said...

Well, you know, a small break from pigs and other such of the usual wildness.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing them after the glazing! ... you might be lucky yet and not have to spend any time in the stocks LOL