Monday, August 20, 2007

Spike goes to the emergency room!


Living just a couple of miles from a veterinary college is useful late on a Sunday evening. Spike has a bad case of cat flu. He is cheerful although tired, but now under treatment. Our own vet will see him later.
Do you know how hard it is to give even a FRIENDLY AND RELXED cat a pill???????? Spike does not ever bite or scratch, but somehow I have been bloodied in the struggle. I am not totally stupid, and now find that a pill rolled in tuna goes a little easier.

7 comments:

Ellen said...

Aw, feel better soon Spike!

Anonymous said...

I suppose you can't really give a cat chicken soup, can you?

Anonymous said...

maybe JUST the chicken CM.. that's gotta help too!

hope spike feels better soon and no one else catches it.

Anonymous said...

Thing he'll need most is warmth, love, and liquid. Dehydration is the main enemy. I do hope he gets over it quick as quick.

Anonymous said...

you could try using a towel wrapped around him to stop him from swiping. I found holding mine in the cruck of my arm with my arm wrapped around them the easiest - depends on how uphappy el moggo is! I find consealing the pill in a nob of butter and giving liberal treats afterward the best for getting the pills in - they like the butter and it helps the bill glide down - you have to get it right in at the back of their mounth and hold their nose (gently of course). The treats afterwards are so that they don't associate you picking them up with discomfort.

Good luck to you Gary, it's a tough job! scritches for poor little Spike too xxx

gary rith said...

oh yeah, I had the towel, the locked head and legs....but, well, he had enough, and YES, butter or something will do it.

Thanks all, he is most energetic at the moment--little miracle pills for cats

Susan as Herself said...

Poor sweetie.

And just look how cuddly those two cuties are together. I wonder if they each think they are the same animal as the other.